Welcome to the Self-Employment Explorer!
Watch our introduction video here (Audio, Video and ASL.)
Visit our News and Updates page here
Congratulations on taking the first step towards finding – or creating – your perfect job.
What is this Toolkit?
This Toolkit was created to help youth who find it hard to get regular full-time jobs figure out if starting their own business is something that could work for them. If you have a disability or face other barriers to employment, working for yourself may be the answer.
Did you know that some skills you use to negotiate your daily life can help you be a successful entrepreneur?
This Toolkit will help you explore self-employment as a career option.
Is this Toolkit for you?
This Toolkit is for anyone like you who feels – or has been told that – you might have a limitation that will make it hard for you to find and keep a regular job.
This Toolkit was developed for you, if you can relate to any of the following situations:
- You’re between 14 and 24 years old
- You have a disability or health condition – either visible or invisible
- Your job options are limited and sometimes it is hard for you to keep a job.
- You want to be your own boss
- You live in a small town that has limited job opportunities
- You want to create a job for yourself doing something you love
- You want to do something different
How do you use this Toolkit?
Watch our how-to video here (Audio, Video and ASL.)
You’ll find nine steps to getting through this Toolkit. Each step is important and will help you explore what your options are.
The best job for your personality.
The best job for your skills and talents.
The job that will make you want to get up in the morning and get to work!
Also, we will give you some resources on how self–employed people stay healthy and manage any disability supports they may have.
First things first
The first thing to do is print off this checklist, which will help you do two things:
- It will show you what will be involved in using this Toolkit by showing you how many exercises you’ll have to do and what those exercises are about.
- It will help you keep track of where you are in the Toolkit. It will probably take you several weeks or even a couple of months to do all the work, depending on how many hours a week you spend on it.
This Toolkit was created to be used either on your own, in a class with a teacher, with a guidance or career counselor, with a family member, or with some other mentor of your choice.
If you’re going to work through the Toolkit with someone else, we have a resource section on this website for your helper(s) to go to for more information.
Let’s get started!
If you’re ready to explore your career choices, click on Step One: Your Career Options.